Friday, October 1, 2010

The Cream of the University Elite

Originally posted 9/2/10

THIS IS HELL OF NSFW SO WATCH YOURSELF GUYS. Also hell of racist, transphobic, and homophobic, but in a mildly funny way I suppose?

So recently I was at the university library, in the insanely tiny comic section, and I happened to pick up a book called Dangerous Ink, a book of interviews with underground cartoonists. They had interviews with Chris Ware, Keith Mayerson, Phoebe Gloekner, and Dan Clowes, all of whom I'm pretty interested in.
It's a pretty average book, but it became suddenly extremely interesting when I got to the section where they interviewed Julie Doucet, the artist and writer of Dirty Plotte. She happened to be the first female interviewee in the book and as I flipped through the pages, I noticed that beside a picture of her from behind, someone had written commentary about her ass.
From this point forward, the book was filled with commentary, mostly sexual, and mostly totally balls-to-the-wall.
I swear to god this is a true story, and in the tradition of the internet, I come bearing scans.
 


They get better (I'm not sure if that's the right word?)

Also about Doucet. Suddenly he seems to be channelling a lot of rage?!

 


That's cartoonist Chester Brown's girlfriend, who is sticking a feeding tube into a sick cat in the photo.

Oh, and that's not the only awesome racist thing that gets written:

Yes that is totally for real. On the bottom of the page it said someting about "fine black poosay" but my scanner fucked it up...


He also has some feelings about gays, and "transgendites" which sounds like a type of microbe more than anything.
There were also a million drawings of penises (peni?), curiously well drawn and realistic, but alas I cannot find an image hosting site which will let me post the pictures.
 
I don't even know how I feel about this, guys. It's kind of funny but what you didn't know is that I just scanned the choice bits...he had something written on almost every single page! But, of course, only on the interviews with cartoonists who were gay, female, or non-white. The only white, straight, male interview he drew on was Chester Brown's, which was the photo of the asian woman above.

You guys, this book was at a college library. This is crazy right? Like, totally crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment